Tuesday, March 15, 2011

HoLA Costa RiCA!

I'm finally here in Costa Rica!
Last summer I told the Martinsen's that I would come to visit and it actually all worked out and I am finally here! Its seriously like a dream! 
It was SO good to see Mariah and her whole family again! I am obsessed with them.


The culture is so different here. Just like driving down the road it is the complete opposite of the states! I will blog about the culture of Costa Rica later when I get more pictures! 

As for what we have been doing... it is so relaxing here! I am in total vacation mode.
Yesterday we woke up at 6:30am and once the girls got off to school we went and worked out. Since I have been in Maine anything above 50 degrees is hot and it was 95 so I got tired super fast! But it felt so good afterword!! After a delicious fresh fruit smoothie we  curled up in the hammocks outside and read! I love it! We are reading the books called the Hunger Games! I am trying to finish all three before I leave! Then Mariah and Abram both had to take a proctored test so once we dropped them off at the local school, the girls and I went grocery shopping! It was one of their Tico (Tico's mean the locals, while Americans are called Gringos) friends birthday and we were on the hunt for a Snickers! We went to 5 stores with no luck! Things are so expensive here! Like a box of cereal is $8 when converted to US currency! For dinner we had traditional Tico food for dinner- rice and beans! I really liked it though! After we went and sung happy birthday to their friend! She is so cute! Everyone here is just so sweet! It was a pretty chill day overall! Just so relaxing and I got a wonderful sense of Costa Rica! 


As for today! Once again we woke up early and Mariah, her dad and I went on a hike! It was so pretty! We ended up right on the ocean and were on the only people there! Except it was quite the adventure to get there! You can read about that on Mariah's blog here! We were their for three hours and it was so fun!! We went fishing the entire time, but caught NADA! Mariah and I were not that great to say the least! Her dad was trying to teach us but we never got the hang of it! You don't have a fishing pole but rather a reel, so we would only get it out a few feet! ha. We were so determined to catch a fish though and it gets super addicting! 

It was absolutly GORGEOUS though! While we were hanging around down there we saw a sea turtle and a few manta rays! plus there were crabs EVERYWHERE! Mariah and I were determined to not only catch a fish but a crab! I caught one under my food but accidentally squished it in the process. Then when Mariah was trying a huge wave hit and she slipped! Cutting up all fours! Poor thing! It was seriously so fun though, and SO pretty! 





Later in the day we went to go surfing but the tide was so low! So we ended up just playing in the waves! Some were pretty big! I got knocked around quite a few times! The water was so nice though! We were in there for quite awhile! 



It is seriously so much fun here though! I love being able to hang out with Mariah and do all these crazy amazing things! We have so many things planned for the rest of the week too and I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I am loving having another teenage daughter for the week! So glad you are here with us. Thanks for being a great card partner and a great dish do-er!! Love you.
    mom martinsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. so jealous. i would love to vacation there!

    ReplyDelete